I am not a big fan of dark beers. Once we decided that it will be a beer and cupcakes party and will be on St. Patrick’s day, we knew at once that we needed to have Guinness cupcakes. Of course I have never made them before and wasn’t sure what to expect. I found the perfect recipe here and then forward it to my mother in law to make them for the party.
recipe via My Baking Addiction
1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness Stout
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture.
4. Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among the muffin tins.
5. Bake 25 minutes, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out of the tins.
Vanilla Bean Buttercream
1 stick salted butter – room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter – room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 tablespoon Clear Vanilla extract
1 1/2 pounds confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar, 10x)
4 tablespoons very cold milk
Cream the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer. Add the clear vanilla extract and combine well. Begin adding in the sugar and mixing thoroughly after each addition. After all of the sugar has been added and mixed thoroughly, begin adding the very cold milk… one tablespoon at a time, combining very well after each addition (mixer on medium-high to high speed) until you reach the desired consistency.
Now I have a different problem. I am addicted to her site and her mouth watering recipes.
I am linking this to TipJunkie, Chic on Shoestring Decorating, Fingerprints of the Fridge, Oopsey Daisy, Somewhat Simple, Today’s Creative Blog, Skip to my Lou, Whipper Berry, Tatertots and Jello, I heart Naptime, Mom 4 Real, Homemaker on a dime, Home Stories A to Z